The Unicorn Theatre is the UK’s leading theatre for young audiences, producing an eclectic and surprising programme of work year-round for children aged 6 months to 18 years. Based in their purpose-built home at London Bridge, the Unicorn aims to connect artists and audiences through a broad range of work that is honest, refreshing and international in outlook, across a range of disciplines. The Unicorn presents and tours twelve to fifteen shows each year, at home and abroad, to around 90,000 children and their parents and carers, and works extensively with schools and in the community to invite children from all cultures into a conversation about art and the world we live in.
Stage Sight reflects an organisational priority for us at the moment. We’re especially proud of:
- Our Usher + scheme, which for many years has supported ushers with additional needs to work with their peers instead of support workers.
- Our cross-departmental Diversity Working Group, who inform our organisational thinking and practice.
- The diversity in our onstage work.
We know we still have work to do – here are some examples:
- Reflecting the diversity of London in our back of house demographic. This includes office staff, production staff and technical staff.
- Representing other aspects of diversity in our onstage work and in our creative teams.
We’re keen to use Stage Sight to share our current good practice, and to learn from others about inclusive strategies and outlooks.